Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sick little boy

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! So I am a little frustrated! Asher got sick coming home from Colorado and I went in to the doctor because his cold wasn't improving and I wanted to see what I could do. The doctor gave me a breathing treatment to open up his airways and help his cold clear sooner. Well he hated the treatment and it made him really anxious which made it hard for him to sleep. Then he got croup...well the medicine they gave me is really bad for croup and actually made it hard for him to breath....so bad that we ended up in the ER because he was on the verge of not breathing at all! They then gave me a steroid that allowed him to breath but made it very hard to sleep...so again...I am getting no sleep and I caught his cold. Oh and since you can't give a child under two cold medicine.....life stinks! I called three different times begging for something to help him sleep or at least help his coughing...they just said try a humidifier and he will get better. Oh I would like to hurt the person that took all the cold medicine off the market for children under 2....they are just cruel and I really don't believe there is NOTHING out there to help these sweet suffering children!


OK....so that is my frustration and my excuse for not blogging about my fun trip yet...I am too busy holding my sad little angel baby!

I hope this illness does not come to your home! Take care and hope to blog something fun and exciting soon!

3 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

Oh NO heather! We are just getting over the sickies and it has been miserable. I hope you get feeling better soon!

Hannah S said...

Yucky! You and croup are not good friends! I've never had to deal w/it but I don't want to. I probably wouldn't know how either.
Can't you give him tylenol? I gave that Jocelyn when she was younger than 2. I gave her cough medicine too. They just don't recommend they take it bcse it doesn't make the cough go away....but it does help suppress it. So he will still be sick but won't seem to cough as much, esp at night. i thought they don't give dosages for it (even under 6 years old now) on the bottle bcse people were overdosing. Call your old pediatricians' nurse and ask for a dosage. They are good about giving it. But I could be totally wrong too. Like I said, I don't know about croup.
I hope you get better soon!

Cheryl said...

I KNOW YOUR PAIN!! We deal with croup several times a winter and have spent countless nights in the ER! The medicines always make my children hyper as well.
Here is what helps us the most:
-Bundle up really well and go outside for 5 minutes of so. I usually do this several times a night. It really helps. If you are really desperate for him to sleep, take him on a drive with the window cracked.
-Rig his crib so he is sleeping with his head up. (Put books under the mattress, blankets under the sheets, whatever.) They did this at the hospital and it really helped.
-IF you can make it through the night, get the steroid shot at the doctor in the morning. Then they are not hyper and you don't have to wait/pay for the ER.
-Give them Tylenol to help relax them. Doesn't help with the congestion or cough but sometimes calm them down enough to fall asleep. (Don't quote me in any Parenting magazine or to any professional on that!!)

So sorry about all the sickness. We have it here as well. Good luck!