Saturday, April 5, 2008

Missing Grandpa Jay

We received very sad news yesterday morning. Lanny's Grandpa Jay passed away. He had been sick for a couple weeks now but still the shock really hit me hard. I cried most of the morning and Ethan kept asking why I was so sad. I tried and tried to explain it to him and he of course couldn't quite get it. He had great insight though...he told me I should be happy that he gets to be with Heavenly Father and yes I am thankful he is now with Heavenly Father. He lived a good life and I feel I am better for knowing him.
When I was first dating Lanny he told me all about his family of course but what I thought to be fun was his amazing relationship he had with both sets of grandparents. He was blessed to live by both grandparents and I feel like they were so close to him that they acted like two sets of additional parents. Lanny was also the first grandson so as you can guess he has a great relationship with them. When we were married I was warmly welcomed in! I honestly feel like I was blessed with another set of Grandparents.
The night before we were married I picked Lanny and his Grandpa Jay up from the airport. It was such a rainy night and I was very nervous but Grandpa Jay's warm hug and warm calm voice quickly settled me down. This was one of the first and many warm memories I have of Grandpa Jay. He lead such an amazing life. Just a few things for example, he saw the flag raised on Iwo Jima during WWII, raised a beautiful family, and served as a patriarch. We even named Ethan after him...Ethan Jay.
We spent this last Christmas with Lanny's family and Christmas eve night he read the nativity story out of the Bible. I will forever be thankful for this beautiful memory. His warm, rich voice telling of our Saviors humble birth. He was so tender that he got emotional while reading the beloved account. He often got emotional while speaking about things dear to his heart (I loved this about him). Grandpa Jay was such a loving, humble man and I will truly miss him. I do find comfort in the gospel plan and as Ethan has said we should be happy that he is now with Heavenly Father and we will see him again.

1 comment:

Hannah S said...

Oh, Heather and Lanny, I am so sorry. Was this Lanny's mom or dad's father? The doctor?
I hope you and Lanny are doing well and those are sweet thoughts and memories of him. Ethan will cherish them as well, when he is older.