Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Waiting for Spring!

This winter has dragged on for so long I feel like spring is never coming! Even when the sun comes out I can't feel its warmth! I grew up with cold weather but in Colorado the sun always comes out ever couple of days and you can feel its warmth!
Does this look like spring attire for the park? Well it is in Boston! I am so sick of the cold, windy weather here! Ethan asks everyday if we can go to the park so we tried the other day when the sun was out. We bundled up in coats and hats and ventured out. Ethan loved it but he could join the polar bear club...Asher and I had a hard time. Our noses wouldn't stop running and the wind chill...awww....I had Asher bundled up in blankets but we didn't stay long. I can't wait for spring! I hope it comes to Boston and just doesn't skip from winter to summer.
As part of Asher's bedtime routine I started giving him a bath right before bedtime....oh my goodness...he loves it! When Lanny or I undress him he starts shaking with joy and laughing. It is the cutest thing ever. He loves to splash and I get just as wet as he does!
So since we are inside most of the time Ethan gets pretty creative! He insisted that he looked the strongest with only his underwear on so I went with it. He then said he was building a mountain (couch cushions and blankets). Then he would jump off the couch and yell high-ya and wave his sword around. Hey it kept him happy for over an hour!

Lanny hates carrying change so I just started putting it in a plastic cup. Well Ethan found it and woo-hoo hours of fun. He sorts it...makes letters with it...and then of course pretends they are guys and they have a battle. The pennies=bad guys and the silver money=good guys...oh he is such a boy!


So....I need some help with dinner recipes! I am in a slump...I need something quick, easy, and yummy for kids and adults. How about I share one with you and then you can share one with me! (As always...only if you want)

So Lanny and I's new favorite is a grilled sandwich (served with a green salad and fresh fruit) or strawberry soup (strawberries were on sale...I love April for that ...strawberry season)....so here is what you put on it....

1) American cheese

2) turkey (any turkey lunch meat will do)

3) sliced tomato

4) carmelized onions (to do this you just chop onions and let them cook in a little olive oil until they turn a carmel color...almost burnt)

5) Grey Poupon mustard (the savory honey grey poupon is killer)!


Lightly butter the outside sides of the bread- then assemble sandwich and grill like a grilled cheese sandwich (or you can use pam if you don't want the butter calories). If you are not a mustard fan...I also tried using all the same ingredients (except mustard) and put them in a tortilla and grilled it. Then for Ethan's I just did a grilled cheese. Oh we loved this dinner so much that we have had it every week for three weeks and even twice last week (once as sandwiches and one with tortillas)!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

HA! Loved the undies pic. Asher is such a cute baby!

Heath, have I given you my new phone number? It's 801-870-5088.

I hope the weather warms up for you guys! Little boys NEED to play outside.

Sally F said...

I don't have the cold problem down here in Texas, but I remember last winter in Utah it seemed like we were stuck inside a lot, too. No fun for you!

I made up a really easy entree that tasted so good to us the other day:

Put four or five (still frozen) boneless skinless chicken breasts in a 9x13 pan. Mix 1/2 a bottle or so BBQ sauce with about a pint of sour cream, and pour over chicken. Bake covered @ 350 for about 50 min. For last ten minutes, cover with mozzerella cheese and bake uncovered until chicken is done and cheese bubbles. Yumm-O, and totally easy!

Brosita said...

You have such cute boys! Boys in there underwear can be seen at my house on a daily basis!

My quick dinner idea! Bagel bites....sorry not homemade.....but really cute to eat!