Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Boston Marathon and Lexington

The Boston Marathon!
My mom came for a visit for Lanny's spring break and we tried to do as many fun things in and around Boston as possible. Someone suggested watching the Boston Marathon and we thought ...ahh I guess we will go just to say we saw it. Oh my goodness! I am oh so thankful we did. Lanny had perfect timing on finding a parking spot and we got there just in time to see the lead men runners. Wow, what amazing athletes! Then slowly we saw women and men and then slowly but surly the masses of runners. Have you ever had that feeling where you are filled with so much amazement you don't know if you want to laugh or cry? That is how I felt! It is hard to describe but I got so caught up in supporting these runners. Some of them had their names on their shirts or written on their arm so you could personally cheer them on. There were even people pushing wheel chairs (extremely touching). They were all trying to reach a personal best and I took it to heart as we should all do the same...push yourself to your ultimate limit and then keep on going. As a young mother I kind of feel that way most days! I loved the fact that there were so many people cheering them on. Ethan was way too restless so we only stayed a little over an hour. (I think he saw the runners and got inspired too...he wouldn't stop running around) Next year maybe I will leave Ethan with a friend and I can watch the whole thing! If you ever need inspiration to endure...watch a marathon!
Lexington
We went to Lexington on Patriots day. We got to see a parade (sorry no pics). I saw a tank actually driven for the first time. Ethan actually sat and watched the whole thing! Tanks and guns...what could be more exciting!

This sign is on the yellow house below
We toured this home. It was used as a meeting place for the minute men. The field below is where the first skermish took place. It is now a lovely little park.

Heather, Asher, and Ethan :)

The Lexington belfry. My Mom and I hiked up a little hill to see this belfry. It was rung to tell/warn the town of certain events. The little sign said it was destroyed by a gail and had to be rebuilt. I had to laugh...the wind in New England is stronger than I have ever experienced ...so the fact that a gust of wind destroyed the first belfry and they had to rebuild it didn't surprise me in the least!


(No...I am not trying to do a model pose...just feeling goofy!)

2 comments:

Sally F said...

How fun! What a great opportunity you have to visit all those neat places while you're there. I bet it was so nice to have your mom there with you.

Hannah S said...

Thanks for sharing photos. And I love your model pose...reminds me of your cheer days. :)